keskiviikko 24. marraskuuta 2010

Looking from the window above

My Interrail Trip 13.-17.11.2010!

So here we go, my ramblings about my very short 5-day interrail trip in 3 countries. I purchased a 10-day interrail pass including 5 travelling days and it cost 160€. It might sound pretty expensive, which it was, but the train ticket prices in Europe are sky high so with that in mind it was a pretty good investment. All the photos are from Bologna, Italy.

Our neighborhood in Bologna was pretty modern.

Dortmund, Germany

My first destination was the city of Dortmund in Northern Germany because I have a friend who lives there and I really wanted to see him. The train ride took me through Genève and Basel (Switzerland) and Mannheim (Germany) and was about 12 hours long. I'm really surprised how fast it went without even once opening my laptop or considering to hang myself from the urine-colored train window curtain. The landscapes in Switzerland are breath-taking.

I really liked Germany, it's a cheap country and the people are nice and laid-back, too bad it was raining like hell the whole weekend and we didn't have time to do everything we had planned.

The 'Unaway' Hotel. ...Wait, what?

Simultaneously changing traffic lights for pedestrians and bikers. One question: WHY?

Roermond, Holland


The next day me and my German friends went to Holland because the stores in Germany were closed and apparently that's what happens in Germany on a Sunday haha. Roermond was a small town near the border of Germany but they had an interesting array of outlet stores so I was in heaven. I also got to walk around on the small streets of the town and I really liked the Christmas vibe there. I didn't take any photos there, don't know why.

These are both from the same neighborhood. Italy at its best: contrasts.

And where would that traffic sign be pointing at?

Bologna, Italy

The next day I spent on the road again and when I got off the train in Basel (once again), I found out that my journey to Italy would take 4 hours longer than expected. I was SIXTEEN (yes, 16) hours on train that day and I nearly lost it during. So, if you're planning your interrail trip the most important thing to have in mind is that nothing ever goes according to plans. Ever. Period. And that the trains were invented by Satan itself, not to mention the schedules they are run by. But I finally made it to Bologna and it stopped raining and everything seemed a little bit better at that point.

I met my Finnish friend at our hotel on Monday night and the hotel was surprisingly okay seeing as how we only paid 20€ for it per night including breakfast and everything was all new. The location was also perfect for us because the concert hall of Never Say Die was located within walking distance of our hotel.

On Tuesday we were walking around a bit, took some photos, visited a small mall (lol) and ate delicious Italian pizza in a traditional ristorante. After that we panicked a bit because my Italian friend who also was going to the concert told me that it was almost sold out so we had to start looking for tickets. Well thanks to her, pomegranate Breezer and Mr. Jack Daniels, we finally made it to the venue and were the first ones to get tickets. The concert was AMAZING and I really enjoyed seeing all the bands and meeting people but I must say that my friend's lost wallet at the end of the concert was a bit of a buzzkill. Well, all's well that end's well and I was really happy to get some sleep after a night of mayhem like a good ol' rock concert.

On Wednesday we travelled back to France (in ONLY 7,5hrs) and I was so happy to see all the familiar neighborhoods and people once again. I must say that I've never been that happy to be back home haha. We didn't see much of Bologna on Wednesday, just a grocery store and Bologna Centrale (the railway station). Oh, and annoying Italian people. By the way if you ever consider travelling in a TGV train, please do! It's an experience like no other for someone who's used to slow, dirty, shit-smelling Finnish trains from when Finland was still ruled by the caveman colony. Oh and for the record, the Italian train system sucks if you're on an interrail. I had to pay 20€ extra to get out of that bloody country (in other countries the maximum I paid for a seat ticket was 4,50€).

Some photography took place at Bologna Centrale.

While chugging a big McDrink! It's good to remember that some things never change.

The most familiar scenery during the trip. Landscapes passing fast by in Milan.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti